Jeff Daley, a milestone birthday remembering when. . . The events during the year of my birth in 1946 is interesting to say the least.
It does a great deal to compare the happenings of today to those that took placed when I came into this world.
Jeff Daley – A Nostalgic Look Back in Time
1946 World News
- Europe and Japan begin the process of rebuilding.
- The United Nations holds its first session
- The bikini swimsuit, named after Bikini Atoll and the atomic explosions debuted in Paris, France.
- Cannes Film Festival debuts in France
- Winston Churchill gives his “Iron Curtain” speech
1946 National News
- WWII veterans, making use of the provisions of the G.I. Bill of Rights, head to college in record numbers,
- Birth rates jump to over 1.4 million in one year with the return of WWII veterans.
- The United States gives the Philippines Independence.
- AT&T announces the first car phones.
- Alaskans vote in favor of statehood.
- The U.S. Army makes radar contact with the Moon for the first time.
- Heisman Trophy Winner Glenn Davis from Army
1946 Interesting Facts
- POTUS – Harry Truman
- Vice President of the United States – None
- Miss America – Marilyn Buferd (Los Angeles, CA)
- Speaker of the House – Sam T. Rayburn (D)
- Life Expectancy – 62.9 years
1946 Cost of Living
- New Home = $5,600
- Average Income = $2,500 per year
- New Car = $1,125
- Harvard University Tuition = $450 per year
- Gasoline = 15 cents per gallon
- First Class postage = 3 cents
- Vitamin D Milk = 70 cents per gallon
- Ground Coffee = 50 cents per pound
- Bacon = 47 cents per pound
- Eggs = 22 cents per dozen
- Fresh Ground Hamburger = 40 cents per pound
- Fresh Baked Bread = 10 cents per loaf
- The Best Years of our Lives (Academy Award Winner)
- My Darling Clementine
- Song of the South
- The Big Sleep
- It’s a Wonderful Life